Giving dogs poultry and other raw bones can be dangerous. But a Food and Drug Administration report suggests the problem is broader. The report explains that the FDA has 68 recent reports of pets becoming sick due to eating processed bone treats.
The bones in question are baked, seasoned and sold across the country. You've probably seen them available at many pet supply and grocery stores. When a pet becomes sick from these bones, it's more than a simple tummy ache. In many cases, it has resulted in emergency trips to the vet.
- Mouth cuts
- Internal bleeding and blockages
In 15 cases, the illness was so severe that the dogs actually died.
There are a lot of factors that should go into choosing treats for any pet. Pet safety should be the top priority when choosing treats. Check with the pet's veterinarian to ensure you get the right treat for each pet.
Read more from the FDA by clicking here.